- This event has passed.
Karatina University Fourth Years’ Mentorship Seminar
Karatina University held its 2nd Fourth Years’ Mentorship Seminar on 6th March, 2018. The Seminar took place at the Conference Hall in Karatina University, Main Campus, Kagochi. The mentorship committee invited 5 guest speakers who presented various topics that would prepare Karatina University Fourth year students for the job market once they graduate. It was opened by Prof. P. Aloo-Obudho, DVC (ARSA) on behalf of the Vice Chancellor, Karatina University. The topics that were presented included;
- Personal Branding and Positioning of the 21st Century Graduate by Prof. Juliet Macharia– Karatina University
- Entrepreneurship and Self Employment: The Way to go for Youth in Kenya by Mr. Philip Nyamwaya, MD, iPay Limited
- Interview and Networking Skills by Dr. Lilian Apadet Osamong’, Moi University
- Resume and Cover Letter Writing by Ms. Judith Ndunge Mang’eng’e, Group Human Resource Manager, Jacaranda Hotels
- Business Simulation by Mr. John Kanyakiri, Council Member, Karatina University
The Seminar was attended by approximately 200 students from various academic programmes. The climax of the seminar was the business simulation practical which allowed 30 participants to demonstrate their entrepreneurship skills. The participants were allowed to own a virtual business and trade amongst themselves. The virtual entrepreneurs will share their experience with their fellow students at departmental level.
The feedback from the participants was that, it was a good idea, educational, informative, creative and impactful. The participants also appreciated the blend of the guest speakers, that is, Karatina University staff and practitioners. The participants strongly recommended that the next seminar should have 1 or 2 Karatina University graduate (s) to share their job interview experience. The guest speakers were thrilled by how the participants were inquisitive and their keenness to details.